Thursday, April 30, 2009

LivingStone or CornerStone?

Wednesday, April 29

9:00 pm

Mt. Elgon Hotel


Phillip thoughtfully began the first session by reading I Peter 2:4-5.  In case you don't have your Bible handy, here is what it says:    

“As you come to him, the living Stone – rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him – you also, like living-stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”

I love it!  Jesus is the Living Stone and we are also like Living Stones.  As I sit here thinking about all the inferences that can be made with this verse and the idea of bringing students to a place to grow intellectually and spiritually – my mind can't even keep up.  

What makes it even more amazing to me is that the name originally came from Dr. David Livingstone, who was a Scottish missionary/explorer to Africa during the late 1800's.  Many admire Dr. Livingstone for his courageousness and innovative approach to reaching out to African natives. Some say he paved the way for future missionaries to serve in the African interior.  

Earlier this evening Dennis Okoth reminded us that further on in I Peter 2, Jesus is also referred to as the CornerStone.  I've always thought of “cornerstone” in terms of “essential for foundation” ....and it is!  But Dennis suggested that a cornerstone also brings together two sides.  I'm not sure if this is news to you, but LIU is an effort of folks from both Churches of Christ (CoC) and Christian Churches (CC).  What an amazing example of the unity and harmony found in Christ – and as Dennis pointed out, this is happening on African Soil.  Amazing!   

By the way, we have begun every session by reciting I Peter 2:4-5.  It still gives me chills.  Wish you were here!  

-Julie

1 comment:

MOM said...

I'm proud of you for being part of the "foundation"!