Saturday, July 11, 2009

Not the Rwandan Story...Soon

Today was baking day in the Teacher house. Allen, our school cook, came over to bake cakes for her daughter’s 5th birthday. We made 4 cakes and a batch of cookies. Multiple cakes were needed for the different school, church, and family parties.

Shout out to Debbie Booth who is my sister-in-law’s mother. Debbie – we used your chocolate cake recipe…..the one that is in Sue’s new cookbook. Funny thing, I thought I bought buttermilk…but it turned out to be more lardish than milky….so I attempted to make my own buttermilk. Hopefully no one will suffer too much from eating that cake. The amazing chocolate icing should cover any weird aftertaste.

When we were half way through the baking, I noticed that Allen still looked so clean…..on the other hand, my clothes were dusted with flour, coco, sugar and imitation buttermilk. How does this happen?

Since the many cakes and cookies were too many – I gave Allen a ride home. She proudly introduced me to her neighbors and showed me her home. Then we did the usual Ugandan three-shake-handshake to say good-bye. I smiled then gave her the usual American goodbye – a big hug. Weird for me – I know, I am not a huggy person…I think maybe it was all the female bonding and laughing over flour, sugar and a hot oven…..

Oh, and Allen invited me over to have dinner with her family - I can’t wait!

1 comment:

MOM said...

Of course we've wanted you to come home when school was out but I'm glad you've had the time and opportunity for some special trips and even cake baking!