Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Once Upon a Time, In a Land Far, Far Away....

A few months before I left the States, I watched the movie “Hotel Rwanda” which depicts events surrounding the now infamous Rwandan Genocide (R.G.). I’ll be totally honest – I had heard about the R.G., but I couldn’t tell you when or what about it. The R.G. happened during my lifetime…I was finishing up the Seventh Grade and getting excited about our upcoming family vacation to the Florida Keys with Aunt Pat and Uncle Ralph. My brother and I were following the scores of the 1994 World Cup. But, I don’t remember hearing or learning anything about over half a million people being murdered in a small country called Rwanda. I never even learned about the R.G. after the fact….until I watched “Hotel Rwanda” and began searching the web for any bit of information about the R.G. I was ashamed with my ignorance.

One thing was for sure – I had to visit Rwanda.

There is something about Rwanda. Is it belated attention resulting from the Genocide? Is it the Hollywood movie Hotel Rwanda? Is it the French speaking native Rwandans? Is the physical beauty? Is it the cool climate? I’m not sure – but there is something different about this country.

Rwanda is storybook Africa. It is Africa idealized. The “California” of Africa. My personal tale of three young maidens’ journey to this land far, far away will be posted soon…. Until then…..I’ll leave you with this:

Once upon a time, three youngish missionary maidens set off from one magical land in search for adventure in a land far, far away…a kingdom known as Rwanda. It has been said that the journey was just as important as the destination, but never would anyone have imagined a journey such as theirs….

5 comments:

mac said...

You have totally left us hanging! How are we going to sleep until we hear the STORY!!!

Unknown said...

and an author is born . . . :)

Michelle said...

I hope you tell the whole story like this..

MOM said...

We are seeing so much through your eyes...

Gayle Swafford said...

Danny and I just recently watched the movie. WOW! I am so glad you got to visit and I want to hear all about it. Thinking of you and love you.