Saturday, May 23, 2009

Being Picky

The other day I needed to get to Mt. Elgon hotel – I was already running late for a meeting with visitors.  Counting the coins in my pocket, I simply stepped out of our gate and waved down a picky (motorcycle taxis).  Mt. Elgon Hotel.  Be careful and I will pay extra.”  The “road” that we took to the hotel was probably paved at one time….maybe back in the 70’s – now it is rocky dirt road with occasional remnants of pavement.  

Today, I needed to get to the Municipal Council Building….but as if on schedule, it was raining.  So – I did it.  Rain Hat – Rain Coat – Flip Flops – Towel.  I trekked out in the weather.  Soon a picky came by.  This was unexpected since they usually find a place to hide from the rain.  So, I wiped off the seat and used the usual line: “Municipal Building.  Be careful and I will pay extra.”  Unfortunately, my umbrella didn’t want to close….so there I go down the road on a picky with an umbrella in the rain.  

Don’t worry Mom – I arrived safe both times.  It’s amazing how careful they’ll drive when you promise them extra shillings.  

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Can you post video clips on here? Take a video on the picky next time!

MOM said...

I would like to see a video also but not sure how you would manage since you are holding on for dear life the whole time!