Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Best African Vacation Ever!

I have always enjoying playing the role of hostess….and this week was no exception. I planned a fully packed, budget friendly 10 day introduction to Uganda for Andrew and Shannon (my brother and his wife..or A&S). This was going to be the best Ugandan Trip Ever!

Typical – nothing went as planned. To kick it off, A&S arrived a day late. Of course, I didn’t find out this change in plans until I was at the airport to meet a delayed flight filled with 250 tired passengers…none looked a bit familiar to me.

I rented a vehicle and driver to take us around the country…..stop picturing a rugged 4WD land-rover, hummer, all-terrain, all-weather, survive an elephant stampede type of vehicle. Now, think of your neighbor’s old minivan that is still sitting in their backyard…no A/C, no radio, no speedometer, (sounds like my first car), leaks in the rain, goes 10 mph up hills….

So, to make the best out of the situation – I ask Isaac (hired Ugandan driver) to give me a historical tour of Kampala. And honestly, – I learned SO MUCH! Did you know that Uganda used to be under the rule of a monarchy until the 1960’s? Also, Arab Muslims were the first religious missionaries to come to Uganda. Anyways, this was fun!

Isaac and I eventually pick up A&S – Happy & Sweet Reunion! – and quickly load up the van to drive to the game park. We finally arrive at our camp at 11:30 pm….long past dark, but back on schedule.

Around 6:00 the next morning we head out for our Chimp Trekking expedition. We ended up being paired with a cigarette smoking Italian couple…Francesca and Stephano. So, along with our armed guides, we trekked up and down a densely forested gorge criss-crossing a river using whatever fallen tree or rickety narrow bridge that was available – this went on for three hours. We eventually caught up with the chimps, who led us on a fast paced, river-crossing chase. Out of breath, (our Italian friends were wheezing) we finally got to stop and admire these amazing creatures.

I’ll go ahead and post this without pictures….at least until the pictures finally upload…oh, the joys of blogging from Africa!

3 comments:

MOM said...

You are the BEST travel agent we know!!

Andrew said...

It was the best African Vacation I've ever been on. Sorry we made it hard on you by showing up late. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

pat moore said...

I know you guys had a great time and I wish I could do that! Aunt Pat