Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm no Oprah...but I've read some good books lately...

My time in Uganda has afforded me much time to pursue one of my favorite hobbies….READING. This is a hobby that really brings the missionary community together. Since our reading options are very limited…we raid each other’s personal libraries frequently. It is not uncommon for a book to start with one missionary in western Uganda and change hands over a dozen times criss-crossing all of eastern Africa before it returns briefly to its owner’s shelf.

Because of this type of environment, I have been reading lots of new authors and different genres than I might normally read. Lucky for you, I have kept a list of all the books I’ve read since being in Uganda.

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

A classic that is a readable for many different ages. Joe gets in our hearts and we long to comfort and encourage her through life’s changes. One of my all time favorites.

Dear Enemy, Jack Cavanaugh

A dark WWII romantic thriller. An easy read.

Peace Like a River, Leif Enger

Story of young boy named Rube – written in his simple voice…so good, so good, so good….I think it is time for a reread.

Munich Signature & Prague Counterpoint, Bodie Thoene

Both books are part of the Zion Covenant Series. Christian Fiction. Great series – would love to see these made into a movie!

The Shack, William Young

Thanks to my friend Josh Truitt for mailing me a copy. Seems that everyone has read or is reading this book and for good reason. There were so many great quotes that I wanted to highlight but that process would only take time from reading this great book….

These Strange Ashes, Elizabeth Elliot

Thanks to my friend and former long term missionary, Danielle Evans, who had the foresight to send this book with me. A great read after being on the mission field for several months.

Have We No Rights, Mable Williamson

Another recommendation from Danielle Evans – I learned a lot about mission perspective.


Julie, Catherine Marshall

Christie is still her best work – but Julie is a wonderful story. Regardless of the name, it was easy to identify with the main character. Plus the entire time you’re wondering which guy will she end up with…..the million dollar question for most single women.

So Brave Young and Handsome, Leif Enger

Leif – how do you write these stories that just draw the reader deeper and deeper???? A story told by a has-been writer named Monte.

Through Painted Deserts, Donald Miller

Donald (I giggle a little every time I say the name Donald…it just feels fun to say) shares his insights during a road-trip. Donald makes no excuses or sugar coating for his personal inadequacies. His style of writing was easy for me to identify with. I read this one slow – rereading several chapters to be sure they soaked all the way through me.

Lay That Trumpet in our Hands, Susan Carol McCarthy

A special recommendation from Mbarara missionary, Emily Glission. This story takes place in rural Florida during Civil Rights. Parts of this story take place in the small town of Mt. Dora, which is where my parents first met. This story made me wonder how I would have acted in the heat of the Civil Rights movement.

Shattered Dreams, Larry Crabb

We used this book for our weekly Bible Study. Dr. Crabb takes you through the book of Ruth through the eyes of Naomi. Reading this book was very healing.

Kite Runner, Khalid Hosseini

This book has been a favorite for a while – but it was even better as a reread. Better than the movie.

Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller

In Donald’s conversational and honest style….this book was a great follow-up to Through Painted Deserts.

Colors of Africa, James Kilgo

Dr. Kilgo was an English professor at my alma-mater, University of Georgia. Of course, I didn’t realize this till I read the forward by the author. But, it was refreshing to read a story about hunting African wild game from the familiar perspective of a Georgia boy.

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini

Even better than Kite Runner – but probably because I enjoyed reading from the perspective of a woman more than I did of a man….Makes me want to understand more about Islam and Afghani culture.

Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

A soap opera about Russians who speak French. I enjoyed some characters more than others – but it helped me understand more about how this aristocratic culture turned to communism

Aboke Girls, Els De Temmerman

Heart-breaking story of abducted children in Northern Uganda. Very well told and amazing that this true story happened in my life-time.

Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

My current read. Mortenson is easy to identify with – which makes this remarkable story even more inspiring.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I wish you had loved Anna Karenina as much as I did! I thought it was amazing! Its one of the few books in my life I just couldn't put down. The others were much easier reads like Voice in the Wind :)

MOM said...

I'm glad some of the books I sent you made the list but now I want to read several others I hadn't heard of. I think YOU are one of my favorite authors! I love you!

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Julie, I admire you so much. I always have. You are so cool.
Samantha