Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Caught In The Dark With My Pants Down

I have arrived! In Mbale that is...

School starts tomorrow and I am to teach Bible, Economics, World History, 5th grade Math, and PE. I just teach each subject once and will mostly be teaching 5th - 8th graders. Although Economics is just for the highschoolers.

It is pretty overwhelming trying to settle in. I am living in a 4 bedroom house with three other girls and the room I am in for formally a storage room. So, it is pretty dusty and grimy. I am wishing that my mom was here to help clean! I have a twin bed and a coffee table and a closet in my room - doesn't give me much to work with, but I am excited about making my own peaceful get-a-way. I am thinking about painting, but the only colors I have access to are bright green and a light yellow. If someone out there has any connections with HGTV - I think my room would make an excellent makeover story!

Last night as I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed when the power went off. Most of you know that I am scared of the dark - so it was pretty traumatic for me, but I managed to remain calm long enough to feel my way back to my room and find my flashlight, which luckily I had just unpacked. Apparently, the power is unreliable here, so maybe I'll conquer my fear of the dark before I come home.

13 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

I am glad you safely arrived! You need to get some candles in your room!

Anonymous said...

Wow...$16,000! In about a month... How faithful is your God. Can't wait to see pictures of your room. Take before and after shots.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo proud of you. Can't wait to see more of what He is doing

Jay Collins said...

i'm glad you made it too. sounds exciting so far. i can remember crazy things like the power going off in Ukraine from previous trips. there's always something new around every corner. in fact, i'm leaving in a few weeks for ukraine for about 3 weeks, i'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think its a coincidence that your room was formerly a storage room. I think it's symbolic of his blessing on you life. He is your provider and you are what he's providing to the children you will be teaching. Deuteronomy 28:11-12 The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity...12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, glad you are there and already conquering fears! And yeah that you are so close to your goal! Very exciting stuff. You'll have a Happy Birthday text in about a year from me - ha, ha!

The_Math_Teacher said...

Great to hear you made it. Blessings to you and those you are helping.

Love,
Gayle Swafford

Ruth said...

Cousin Julie!
Happy Belated Birthday! I am glad that you have arrived safely! Your year is going to be amazing!
Love
Ruth

Shannon said...

So glad you made it safely! I think you'll conquer much bigger things than your fear of the dark!

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to hear you are there safely. Good luck with the room! You are an inspiration to us all!!!

:)
josh t

Mandy said...

Hey sweet Julie! Hope all is well - I've been checking in on ya and thinking about you and praying for you! Keep posting! Love you! Happy b'day, several days late - that's cool that Andrew sent a message to your pilots! Gotta love those big bros!

Sandra said...

How was your first week of teaching? I know you are going to do wonderful things for the children you teach and the children that you meet through your work with the mission team. I am so proud of you. Love, Mrs. Sandra

P.S. I think I would vote for the yellow paint.

Courtney said...

Hey Julie! - It looks like it would be a challenging experience to go through getting used to all the surroundings out there. I hope you're doing ok out there. I'm sorry I never got a chance to get on here or call you tell you happy birthday. We just don't have internet at the house & I didn't know if I could call you out there either. I love you, Julie. I hope your having a fun & rewarding experience. Looking forward to hearing from you! Love you Jules!