Sunday, September 7, 2008

Teachers have homework too!

Many have asked about my first week of school - well - it was my first time teaching and I had all of one day to prepare - so, it went about as well as you would expect.

It is challenging, but I enjoy teaching. I guess the most challenging part is being prepared for class. So far, my favorite class is Eastern Hemisphere History. All my students in class are boys ages 10 - 13 and we get along really well...I don't really know what that says about me.

For one of my classes, I teach just one boy math while I watch three others in study hall. Jonathan (one of the study hall kids) is 11 and was supposed to be working on his algebra homework but was talking instead. So, I asked him if there were math problems I could help him with. He looked up at me and in all seriousness replied. "No, I don't think so. These problems will be above your head." I just smiled and tried not to laugh.

This week, I've had a chance to meet the rest of the team. There are three families, 4 singles, and 5 teachers. We are probably one of the bigger mission teams in East Africa.

Here are some pictures! The first ones that I have taken so far!

A few of my students "volunteered" to help me paint my room...this is Jonathan. And, don't worry, just one wall is green - the others will be a soft cream...I can't believe after all those years of being forced to wear green as my school colors...I am actually voluntarily living in a green room.

We don't have a dryer, so we hang our clothes on lines in the hallway - it rains just about every afternoon, so it is difficult to dry clothes outside.

I live with three other teachers - and we share two bathrooms. Below is one of our showers. The shower head is so short that I have to stand to the side and bend over sideways to stick my head under the water. Yes - we do have hot water! I am SO thankful!

And finally, here are pictures of our house. The dog in front is Thatcher, our guard dog. He loves to play and IS NOT allowed inside.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

A green room?!?! Good to see this post from you! Take care and take more pictures!!

Anonymous said...

The house and yard look nice from the outside. Send pictures of your "completed" room. I hope you get the 2 boxes we sent soon. Love, MOM

Erin said...

Julie, My parents are in Kenya! What are the chances?! wow! I can't believe you're in Africa. I'll bookmark your blog so I can keep tabs on you. And I'll be praying that the Lord blesses your work there.

Erin