Friday, September 26, 2008

T.I.A. (This Is Africa)

Here are some things that have become part of normal life:

1. Anything that took just a few minutes in the States (ex: sending an email, mailing a letter, paying a bill) takes at least half an hour here!

2. Living life by candle light or with a flashlight always in your pocket because you never know where you’ll be when the power goes out – and it does at least once every day for a few hours.

3. Getting ready for bed involves fumigating your room and tucking your mosquito net under your mattress.

4. Being greeted on the streets as “Mzungu” or just “White Girl”. Especially by kids, who will excitedly yell “Hey, Mzungu, Mzungu,” until you eventually wave back. (All white people are referred to as Mzungu’s)

5. Watching out for falling geckos when opening doors.

6. Milk - it is delivered to us three times a week (usually). We have to boil it, strain it, and then hold our noses when we drink it.

7. Phrases like “Sorry Please” (instead of just I’m sorry) and “It is finished” (instead of we are out of gas…the gas is finished).

8. When the temperature gets below 75 degrees – it is considered COLD and hats, gloves, and thick coats start coming out.

9. Drinking Coco-Cola out of (reused) glass bottles…Ok, I actually don’t really mind this as long as there is a glass or straw.

10. Paying 1,000 for a coke…..100,000 shillings = $65 or $70. A nice meal will usually cost 8,000 shillings or around $6. I just bought a new cell phone for 40,000 shillings ($30). Converting money takes some getting used to!

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh, Jules!, Your are a stronger & more devout person than I! I couldn't do have of the items you listed yourself having to do out there. Wow. I miss you so much & I'm praying for you. Take care while doing the Lord's Will! I love you, Jules!

Judy Vires said...

Wow! It is hard to believe you are actually there. Your pictures are amazing. Just like I would imagine Africa to be.

The_Math_Teacher said...

I remember the days...we did not have power outages but we could never do anything fast and one time the temp dropped to 70 and I got Danielle's sweatsuit out that was sent to her as a present. The memories will be with you for ever!
Love, Gayle

Anonymous said...

Julie, The Quick boys from Downtown Church of Christ have been reading about all your experiences in Uganda. They can't wait for cooler weather here and 75 isn't what they consider colder temps. They loved to hear about the milk. We enjoy your pictures. Keep them coming. Tyler suggests dodge ball for P.E.Praying for you! Tyler & Evan Quick

My Girl Friday said...

Hey "mzungu"! Your email was awesome and I'm so glad you're doing well and are really taking in the experience! I'm sure you will always treasure it! How long will you be gone total? “Falling Geckos” could be a great name for a rock band. I don’t have any Southern Living or Reader’s Digest to send, but I do have In Style mags! Let me know if those are “acceptable” or not?! Good luck with the power outages and mosquito nets in the meantime!

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Julie,

I am so excited to see that you are doing such great and wonderful things! How exciting! I look forward to following your journey. Great to see pictures of where you are living!

Shannon and Andrew said...

We're ready for more post!!!!! Tag you're it!!! Check out my blog.