Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wax On, Wax Off

I have 2 PE periods with 3 kids each and I am at a loss with how to fill the time. There are only so many games that 3 kids can play. To buy some time, I thought it would be fun to watch one of my favorite movies from the 80’s…The Karate Kid with the intention of teaching some sort of primitive karate skills.

I don’t think that I really thought this through….I have never done karate and don’t know anything about it. But, the kids are really excited and are expecting some real lessons. I am hoping the movie will stretch out for several days!

Seriously – I am open to suggestions for PE. They have already done a lot of soccer, basketball, football and so on. Last year the class was combined and they had a real PE teacher with a real PE degree – so there are high expectations.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

badminton, fishing, exercise, croquet, ping-pong, tennis, golf. Alway start with an exercise program. Runing for a few hundred yards and or sprints is always good. Best to use something you know. Dad

Anonymous said...

Thats a good idea, let them run for the first 45 mins of class to wear them out then let them play chess for the rest of the period.
Andrew

Elizabeth Coggins said...

Julie, you and I have never met but you know my daughter, Kristina Bell. She told me about your ambitious undertaking and I am so excited for you. I work for a law firm in the metro area and will see about sending our magazines once the new ones come in. There is no doubt this will be a life changing experience for you and I will keep you in my prayers. As far as PE, I am a committed sofa sitter so ... go with your dad and brother's suggestions.

My husband says that if you do not use bait when fishing it will take a lot more time :). Maybe I can find a PE for dummies book to help :).

I look forward to keeping up with your experiences through the blog.

Elizabeth Coggins said...

My company is a big sponsor of the YMCA here locally. I have contacted Jeff, the Executive Director of our local YMCA and asked if he or his staff can assist you. Hope they can help!
Elizabeth Coggins

Anonymous said...

Hey Chica Bonita. You were on my mind today, so I thought I'd check your blog. Skip's mother has been a PE teacher for over 20 years. If you are still in a jam, I bet she could sent you some materials.

Heather

My Girl Friday said...

Um, hello Jules - D O D G E B A L L !!!! =o)

Elizabeth Coggins said...

Julie, The Director of the YMCA could not post a comment because he did not have a login.

Here is the information from him:www.pa.org - a consulting and experiential education company that uses outdoor adventure to bring learning's to life. They have books and books full of youth activities including entire P.E. curriculums they write for school systems.