Saturday, January 17, 2009

Culture Shock

I guess I pictured culture shock like a cartoon.  You know, like a guy who sticks his finger in the light socket ends up getting electrocuted…hair on ends, muscles tense, eyes bugged out, and visible skeleton outline.   ZAP!  You know when a character has been shocked.  So, instead of sticking a finger in a socket…I pictured sticking my finger in “Ugandan culture”.  I figured it would have the same electric shock effect. Immediate.  Visible.  Abrupt.  Noticeable.   But, there was no ZAP!  It was more like a slow boil.  It crept up gradually – I hardly even knew what was happening.


Stage I.  Before even leaving America. I was anxious to start my Ugandan experience.  I couldn’t leave home fast enough.  It was an adventure.   Bring it on!


Stage II.  Somewhere over the Atlantic.  It is my birthday and I’m sitting next to a complete stranger who is snoring!  I’m realizing that it is going to be 12 months before I return home. Deep Breath – Am I sure I don’t want to just make a U-Turn in London?


Stage III.  Further along over the Atlantic.  The Captain of the airplane just came back to wish me a Happy Birthday!  I am so cool!  What an adventure!  Uganda here I come!


Variations of Stages II & III repeat numerous times until I reach Mbale, Uganda.


Stage IV.  First night in new home.  Real tears.  Real regret?  It really feels like I am on my own – Will I sink or swim?  Why does it have to be so dirty over here?  Is that just a mosquito I feel on my leg or worse?  And, how did I ever convince myself that I could be a teacher?  I am going to be a complete failure – the kids won’t learn anything from me.  Can I still get my job back in Atlanta?


Stage V.   A new day.  It isn’t so scary in the daylight.  I can totally do this.  Besides, now it takes just minutes to walk to work and I get to wear flip-flops everyday!  No cares if I don’t take a shower, shave my legs or wear make-up.  Life here is decidedly less complicated and I can handle that – just one day at a time.


Stage VI.  December – After Parents Visit.  First Christmas away from home. Missing home and feelings of guilt for being absent. Haven’t had an email from friends in weeks.  Why does it have to be so hot here?  Why does everything take so long to do?  Why can’t I buy Dr. Pepper here?  When will our local market store get more ice cream bars????  I just feel really, really, really sad. 


Stage VII.  Admitting you have a problem.  Believe it or not – it works.  I asked my teammates for help – I asked friends back home to pray for me.  And God blessed me with encouragement immediately and he hasn’t stopped. From what I hear – Culture Shock isn’t something you are instantly cured of.  And, according to a teammate who has been here 25+ years, you never get over being homesick either.  


So, yeah, living in a third world country presents its challenges and dealing with the emotional stress of culture shock and homesickness is one that is often overlooked and underestimated.  Just one more reason I have learned to greatly respect and admire longterm missionaries. 


2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Julie
This is Katie Gosnell. I just read your post and I wanted to give you a big hug !! You are so brave and we are all so proud of you. God is doing a mighty work in you and through you. I can only imagine the experiences that you are having on a daily-hourly basis. I loved the picture where you have your morning tea and enjoy the rooster crowing, only kidding about the rooster. I don't know where you will be in ten years, but I do know that the Lord will be smiling on you. Hold tight to your friends there and your faith in the Lord. We all love you and are very proud. xo Katie Gosnell

Anonymous said...

I, too, want to give you a big hug! Your Daddy and I pray for you everyday and sometimes we miss you sooo much, we just want to insist that "you come right home little girl"!! But we know you are a grown up young woman God is using in a very special way. We love you!