Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In 2019...

2009 marks changes.  The most obvious – living in a third world county.  But 2009 also marks 10 years since I graduated from high school.  Which got me to thinking (always a dangerous and expensive thing…) back to my senior year. 


“Welcome back my dear students.  Hope you all had a joyous and restful holiday.  For your first assignment of the New Year, I would like you to open your minds and dream about where you will be in ten years.  Then, I would like you to transfer these thoughts into an essay describing the 10 Year Reunion for the Class of 1999.”  I tend to take liberties in filling in what I don’t remember – but I think that about how my English teacher Mrs. Edwards would have announced such an assignment. 


Never would I have opened my mind wide enough to imagine that I would actually be missing my 10 reunion.  Out of the 18 in our class, I figured I would be the only one who actually attended! 


Where I was 10 years ago:

17 yrs old

In High School

Living with Mom & Dad in Newnan

Driving the ’88 Taurus w/ No A/C

Listening to music on the radio - 99X

Deciding between Georgia and Auburn

Watching FRIENDS every Thursday on NBC

 


Where I THOUGHT I would be in 10 years:

27 yrs old

Married, with no kids

Living in the city with a place in the county

Driving BMW to work and ’56 T-bird on the weekends

Working some corporate job and running the show

Living my own southern version of FRIENDS

And, obviously, rolling in cash

 


Where I actually am:

27 yrs old

Single, with no kids

Living in third world country (ok, at 17 I thought this might be a possibility but only if I was a secret government agent or US Ambassador to Fiji)

No car

Working as a missionary (and recovering political junkie)

Supporting myself by donations from family and friends

Watching FRIENDS reruns on DVD  and living what feels more like an updated version of Gilligan's Island, but without the island....

Listening to music on my Ipod


In 10 more years I might be….who knows?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie,

This is Erin & Eva Johnson's mom. I've had a wonderful time reading your BLOG since we are in Africa too. Over in Kenya, northeast of Nairobi, in a town called Thika, working at The Salvation Army's Training College for Officers here (it's definitely not Hotlanta!) You can check out our BLOG at Johnsonsgallimaufry.blogspot Otherwise you can reach me through personal e-mail: jmjohnson_58@yahoo.com. I'd love to keep in touch with you - or if there's no time (doing everything the old fashioned way always eats up a lot of our spare time, then visiting your blog will keep me entertained!)

God's blessings upon you as you teach in Mbale-Uganda and as you raise money for your needs.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I can barely remember 10 years ago and I have never attended a high school reunion. I would also never attempt to guess where you might be in another 10 years since you have never been predictable in the 27 years I've known you. But I love you wherever you roam.

Shannon and Andrew said...

I know one for sure in ten years. You will have 2 nephews who love their Aunt JuJu!!

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh, you did ten years ago and you will ten years from now (Lord willing). I love you. Call me sometime.